MUZEO’S 9TH ANNUAL YOUTH SUSTAINABLE ART CONTEST
Welcome to the 2017 TrashARTist Challenge
What is the TrashARTist Challenge? The Muzeo TrashARTist Challenge is a county-wide art contest that promotes zero-waste recycling by encouraging students to turn trash to art. The Challenge includes an Awards Ceremony and Expo on April 1, 2017, followed by a public exhibition of the winning participants’ artwork.
The purpose of the Muzeo TrashARTist Challenge is to recognize students’ artistic reuse of trash to promote a message of creative conservation and sustainability.
What is the TrashARTist Challenge Awards Ceremony and Expo? The Muzeo TrashARTist Challenge Awards Ceremony and Expo is a free special event where participants, their families, sponsors, and community leaders gather to recognize the TrashARTist Challenge entries and winners, and to celebrate sustainability efforts in our community.
TrashARTist Challenge Awards Ceremony and Expo
Saturday, April 1st, 12pm – 3pm at Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center
241 S. Anaheim Blvd., Anaheim 92805
Who can enter the TrashARTist Challenge Art Contest? An individual or group, who – for the 2016-2017 school year – are in grades 3 through 12, and are supervised by an educator or adult advisor in Orange County, California.
How do you sign up? Sign up to participate in the Muzeo TrashARTist Challenge by having an educator or adult advisor complete the Intent to Enter form. The deadline to submit this form is Friday, December 16, 2016. Those who submit the Intent to Enter form by the deadline will be given further instruction for final submission requirements.
Contest Eligibility Requirements:
- The final Entry Form and photo submission is due Friday, March 3, 2017. The final entry form will include a photo release and pledge of authenticity. Entries that the judges deem as plagiarizing, not the artist’s authentic work, or an infringement on copyrighted material will be disqualified. There may be interviews conducted with artists to verify their participation on the project.
- Artwork must be composed of a majority of recycled materials.
- Due to space limitations for 2017, project size may not exceed 36” high x 36” wide” by 36” long. Projects that exceed these restrictions will not be accepted for display or entry. No exceptions.
- Due to space limitations, all projects must be a collaboration, with a minimum of three (3) students working on each project. Each student may only contribute to only one (1) art project submission.
- All projects must be family friendly in theme and physical safety.
- At least one project representative (student or educator/adult advisor) must be present at the Expo (April 1st). All participants and their family/friends are encouraged to attend!
- All projects must meet the Contest Eligibility Requirements to be eligible for judging.
- Projects must be turned in at Muzeo for setup between 2:00 pm and 5:00 p.m. on either March 28th or 29th
- Projects must be freestanding or have its own display system. Projects may not lean against a wall for judging. Please insure that your project is sturdy and provide any necessary stands or display materials.
- Entrants are solely responsible for transportation and haul away of artwork.
- Due to space limitations, only winning entries will be displayed for 2017. Other submissions will need to be taken home the day of the Expo.
- Winning entries may be retained for additional promotional or marketing purposes.
- A panel of judges from arts, business, and education fields will select the winners.
- Entries will be judged on creative interpretation of the TrashART theme, execution, use of recycled materials, ability to transcend the materials from their original form, and overall aesthetic appeal.
- Special recognition may be given to particular projects at the discretion of the judges.
- The People’s Choice Awards are based on total votes from 12pm – 1pm during the Expo on April 1st.
When the winners will be announced:
Muzeo’s TrashARTist Challenge 2017 winners will be announced at the Muzeo TrashARTist Challenge Award Ceremony on Saturday, April 1, 2017. Awards and prizes will be distributed from the main stage at 2:30pm.
Winners will be announced in the following categories:
|Grades 3-5||Grades 6-8||Grades 9-12|
People’s Choice Award
People’s Choice Award
People’s Choice Award
Please note special recognition may be given to particular projects at the discretion of the judges.
Key Dates and Deadlines
|December 16, 2016, 11:59 pm||Deadline to submit Intent to Enter Form.|
|March 3, 2017, 11:59 pm||Deadline to submit final Entry Form.|
|March 28 – 29, 2017||Intake days. Projects must be turned in at Muzeo for setup between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm on either March 28th or 29th only.|
|April 1, 2017||Muzeo’s TrashARTist Challenge Awards Ceremony and Expo, 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm. People’s Choice Voting from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm.|
|April 2 – 9, 2017||2017 TrashARTist Challenge Exhibit in the Carnegie Gallery.|
|April 10, 2017||Pick-up Deadline. All artwork left at Muzeo past the pick up deadline will be recycled.|
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to become a sponsor of the Trash ARTist Challenge, please contact:
Dan Finley, Executive Director
Sherry Cain, Development Coordinator
Artwork featured: Night by Jennifer Ingertila
Photo credit: Raeha Keller