MUZEO’S 11TH ANNUAL YOUTH SUSTAINABLE ART CONTEST
2019 TrashARTists Challenge & Fire Hydrant Painting
March 16 from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm
Enter by March 1, artwork drop-off March 11 – 12 between 8-10 am or 2 – 5 pm.
What is the TrashARTists Challenge? The Muzeo TrashARTists Challenge is a county-wide art contest that promotes zero-waste recycling by encouraging students to turn trash into art. The Challenge includes an Announcement of Awards and community Fire Hydrant Painting on March 16, 2019, followed by a public exhibition of the winning participants’ artwork through the end of March.
The purpose of the Muzeo Trash Artist Challenge is to recognize students’ artistic reuse of trash to promote a message of creative conservation and sustainability.
The Fire Hydrant Painting will be an opportunity for groups of 4 of more students and community members to come together in a fun atmosphere to paint an actual decommissioned fire hydrant with original artwork. Interested groups should contact Della Rose at the email address below to reserve a fire hydrant. First come, first served. Fire hydrants will be painted on-site at Muzeo during the TrashARTists Challenge on March 16. All materials will be provided!
Trash Artist Challenge Awards Ceremony and Expo
Saturday, March 16, 9:30 am – 12 pm at Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center
241 S. Anaheim Blvd., Anaheim 92805
This year’s categories:
- Mixed media recycled sculpture
- Recycled Fashion
- Video/Music/Poetry (digital submission)
Who can enter the Trash Artist Challenge Art Contest? Any group of three (3) or more students, who – for the 2018-2019school year – are in grades 3 through 12, and are supervised by an educator or adult advisor in Orange County, California.
How do you sign up? Sign up to participate in the Muzeo Trash Artist Challenge by having an educator or adult advisor complete the Entry Form. The deadline to submit this form is Friday, March 1, 2019.
Contest Eligibility Requirements:
- The final Entry Form is due Friday, March 1, 2019. The final entry form will include a photo release and pledge of authenticity. Entries that the judges deem as plagiarizing, not the artist’s authentic work, or an infringement on copyrighted material will be disqualified. There may be interviews conducted with artists to verify their participation on the project.
- A photo submission of the student artwork is due Monday, March 11, 2019.
- Artwork must be composed of a majority of recycled materials.
- Due to space limitations for 2018, project size for mixed media entry may not exceed 36” high x 36” wide” by 36” long. Projects that exceed these restrictions will not be accepted for display or entry. No exceptions. For fashion entries, entry must consist of a single wearable outfit or garment that can be displayed on a hanger. Video/music/poetry entry must be original, digitally submitted and no longer than 5 minutes in length on the theme of recycling, reusing, and reducing waste.
- Due to space limitations, we reserve the right to limit entries if necessary based on earliest date of entry.
- All projects must be a collaboration, with a minimum of three (3) students working on each project. Each student may only contribute to only one (1) art project submission.
- All projects must be family friendly in theme, language, imagery, and physical safety.
- At least one adult project representative must drop off the physical entries to the Muzeo between March 11-12 between 8-10am or 2-5pm.
- All projects must meet the Contest Eligibility Requirements to be eligible for judging.
- Projects must be turned in at Muzeo for setup between 8-10am or 2-5pm on either March 11-12.
- Mixed media project must be freestanding or have its own display system. Projects may not lean against a wall for judging. Please insure that your project is sturdy and provide any necessary stands or display materials. Fashion projects must be wearable and able to hang on a standard hanger.
- Entrants are solely responsible for transportation and haul away of artwork.
- Due to space limitations, we may limit pieces shown to the winning entries, although every effort will be made to display as many entries as possible.
- Winning entries may be retained for additional promotional or marketing purposes.
- A panel of judges from arts, business, and education fields will select the winners.
- Entries will be judged on creative interpretation of the TrashART theme, execution, use of recycled materials, ability to transcend the materials from their original form, and overall aesthetic appeal.
- Special recognition may be given to particular projects at the discretion of the judges.
When the winners will be announced:
Muzeo’s Trash Artist Challenge 2019 winners will be announced at the Muzeo Trash Artist Challenge Award Ceremony on Saturday, March 16, 2019. Winners will be announced in the following categories:
|Grades 3-5||Grades 6-8||Grades 9-12|
Please note special recognition may be given to particular projects at the discretion of the judges.
Key Dates and Deadlines
|March 1, 2019, 11:59 pm||Deadline to submit Entry Form.|
|March 11-12, 2019||Intake days. Projects must be turned in at Muzeo for setup between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm on either March 8 or 9 only.|
|March 16, 2018||Muzeo’s TrashARTists Challenge Awards and Fire Hydrant Painting, 9:30am– 12 pm.|
|March 11 – 31, 2019||2019 TrashARTists Challenge Exhibit in the Carnegie Gallery.|
|April 2, 2019||Pick-up Deadline. All artwork left at Muzeo past the pick up deadline will be recycled.|
Questions? E-mail Della Rose, Director of Education & Exhibitions, at firstname.lastname@example.org