MUZEO’S 1st SUSTAINABLE DESIGN CHALLENGE FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS
Welcome to the Inaugural 2017 Wearable TrashARTist Challenge Celebrating Dressing Downton
(For information on the youth TrashARTist Challenge, click here.)
The winners of the Wearable Trash ARTist Challenge will be on view in the Carnegie Gallery April 1st through April 9, 2017.
What is the Wearable Trash ARTist Challenge?
The Muzeo Wearable Trash ARTist Challenge is a county-wide art contest that promotes sustainable design by encouraging students to turn trash to fashion or costume. The Challenge includes an Expo & Awards Ceremony on April 1, 2017, followed by a public exhibition of the winner’s designs featuring reuse of trash to promote a message of creative conservation and sustainability.
What is the Trash ARTist Challenge Expo & Awards Ceremony?
The Trash ARTist Challenge Expo and Awards Ceremony is a free event where participants, their families, sponsors, and community leaders gather to recognize the Wearable Trash ARTist Challenge entries and winners, and to celebrate sustainability efforts in our community.
Saturday, April 1st, 12:00 – 3:00pm
Who can enter the Wearable Trash ARTist Challenge Art Contest?
An individual or group, who for the 2016-2017 school year, are enrolled in an Orange County, California college or university fashion or theatrical costume design program, or resident of Orange County, California and enrolled in a fashion or theatrical costume design program of a local college or university in the immediate region. ***Proof of eligibility may be required, via copy of current class schedule, or proof of residency.
How do you sign up?
Sign up to participate in the Muzeo Wearable Trash ARTist Challenge by completing the Intent to Enter Form. The deadline to submit this form is Friday, December 16, 2016. Those who have submitted their intent by the deadline will be contacted with further information about final submission requirements.
Contest Eligibility Requirements:
- The Final Entry Form is due Friday, March 3, 2017 which includes a photo release and pledge of authenticity. Entries that the judges deem as plagiarizing, not the artists’ authentic work, or an infringement on copyrighted material will be disqualified. There may be interviews conducted with artists to verify their participation on the project.
- Garment must be composed of at least 90% repurposed/recycled materials.
- Muslin may be used as a base layer to support unconventional materials.
- Old garments used as repurposed textiles must be taken apart and used in a different way (i.e. – taking a sleeve or pocket off of one garment and using as same part on entry garment forbidden).
- Garment must be G-rated, as runway show will be held during an event with elementary school children.
- Garment must be able to go on and off the model without needing to be sewn or glued onto the body.
- All projects must be family friendly in theme and physical safety.
- Each participant may contribute to only one garment project submission.
- At least one project representative (student or educator/advisor) must be present at the Expo (April 1st).
All participants and their family/friends are encouraged to attend!
- All projects must meet the Contest Eligibility Requirements to be eligible for judging.
- Garments, model, and designer must be checked in at Muzeo by 11:00 a.m. on Saturday April 1st prior to opening of the TrashARTist Expo
- Entrants are solely responsible for transportation and take-away of garments.
- Submissions may be retained for additional promotional or marketing purposes.
- A panel of judges from arts, business, and education fields will select the winners.
Entries will be judged on creativity of the Trash ART theme, execution, use of recycled materials, ability to transcend the materials from their original form, and overall aesthetic appeal.
Special recognition may be given to particular projects at the discretion of the judges.
The People’s Choice Awards is based on total votes taken between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. during the Expo on April 1st.
When will the winners be announced?
Muzeo’s Trash ARTist Challenge 2016 winners will be announced at the Muzeo Trash ARTist Challenge Award Ceremony. Awards and prizes will be distributed from the main stage at 2:30 p.m.
Winners will be announced in the following categories.
|College/University Fashion and Theatrical Costume Design Students|
|1st Place Award
2nd Place Award
People’s Choice Award
Please note that special recognition may be given to particular projects at the discretion of the judges.
KEY DATES AND DEADLINES
|December 16, 2016||Deadline to submit Intent to Enter Form: 11:59pm|
|March 3, 2017||Deadline to submit Entry Form and additional materials including photos, sketches, and proof of eligibility.|
|April 1, 2017||11:00 a.m. Check-in at Muzeo for Wearable TrashARTist Challenge. Models must have show ready make-up and hair completed before check-in.|
|1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Wearable TrashART Runway show.|
|2:00 – 2:30 p.m. Awards ceremony.|
|April 2 – 9th||Exhibit of winning entries in Muzeo’s Carnegie Galleries.|
|April 10, 2017||Pick-up deadline. All entries left at Muzeo past the pick-up deadline will be recycled.|
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to become a sponsor of the Trash ARTist Challenge, please contact:
Dan Finley, Executive Director
Sherry Cain, Development Coordinator
Artwork featured: Night by Jennifer Ingertila
Photo credit: Raeha Keller