Work with us
The Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center is a nonprofit organization that engages the community in exploring and celebrating our diverse heritage, culture and arts through creative programming. Muzeo operates Wednesday through Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the general public and on other days/schedules for private events and is composed of two buildings, a courtyard and a plaza.
Director of Operations
Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center
Part-time, hourly, non-exempt
5 day / 7 hrs / 35 hrs a week
The Muzeo is seeking a dynamic Operations Manager who will be directly responsible for the overall guest experience and daily operations at the Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center. This position will provide leadership and oversight through hands-on management of the Museum operation departments (Guest Services, Store Operations, Museum Events, Special Projects), leading the business and service operations of these departments, developing operational strategies that achieve quality results and ensure a superior guest experience. Strategic and thoughtful, this position advocates for and implements new and innovative ideas for service, programming and welcoming engagement.
Reporting to the Executive Director and participating as a member of the Museum’s Leadership Team, the Director of Operations will provide inspirational leadership and expertise in museum operation and is responsible for coordinating, implementing, advertising and administering the institution’s multi-faceted public experiences. The Director of Operations will develop and lead the implementation of the overall Museum guest experience strategy; evaluate the Museum experience and collaborate in the creation and implementation of practices to advance inclusivity and accessibility.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on, participative manager who will lead and develop internal teams, as well as external partners, will assist as needed with the implementation of new gallery experiences and programming and work closely with the leadership of neighboring businesses, attractions, and the larger Anaheim community, to facilitate communication around operational issues.
The Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center engages the community in exploring and celebrating our diverse heritage, culture and arts through creative programming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively supervise museum departmental professional/ part- time staff and serve as direct report for day to day staff operational needs.
- Assists the Executive Director with the development, implementation and monitoring of the museum’s operational processes and procedures.
- Develop process manual around Muzeo store sales to initiate and complete sales transactions with visitors (inclusive of greetings, suggestive selling, money handling, cash, checks, and credit card transactions)
- Provide thoughtful leadership and direct management to Muzeo support staff (Coordinator, Guest Services Representatives and University interns) in the areas of recruitment, onboarding, training, scheduling and performance management focused on growth and improvement.
- Work collaboratively with Muzeo professional staff to develop processes, policies and procedures to strengthen operational delivery that supports exhibitions, community programming and facilities.
- Develop and implement facility rental processes and procedures for special event inquiries, facility tours, bookings and contracts for private facility rentals.
- Assist with creation, implementation, and management of revised membership program with the Executive Director.
- Develop strategy, detailed organizational planning and logistical execution of major events for the team.
- Manage and partner with the Executive Director and Coordinator to streamline marketing activities for exhibitions, programs and special events across all channels, including digital media and print advertising.
- Participate in staff meetings and weekly check in with leadership to report out and implement new service and training models for Muzeo employees and guest experience.
- Create and oversee ticket sale reports, membership analysis, gift shop reporting, accounts payable and receivable, agreements and other administrative documents including some budget management.
- Train and lead Support Staff in responding to and tracking all guest inquiries via email, phone, social media and in person through streamlined customer service and administrative operational delivery.
- Collaborates with the Exhibitions team, Programming and Special Events departments to provide support and to help achieve the programmatic goals of the institution.
- Builds and fosters relationships through engagement with businesses, residents and others within the surrounding community.
- Remains current on topics related to the scope and effectiveness of this position.
- Performs other related duties as required
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have broad comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices of superior guest service and store retail knowledge, experience in a museum environment, and be an organizational leader with a track record of successful management and decision-making. Must have outstanding analytical, problem solving and leadership skills. Ability to successfully interact and collaborate with key stakeholders to achieve results. Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion to meet deadlines. Must have the ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
Education and Experience: Some coursework from an accredited college or university in the social sciences, museum studies, business, human resource management or a related field, or equivalent experience and training. Significant experience in organization operations and management, customer service, project management or human resources. Non-profit experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding leadership and management skills and a demonstrated ability to build, lead, mentor, coach, manage, and motivate an effective, high-performing diverse team, providing strong support and opportunities for growth and development. Ability to execute job duties in a mission driven, friendly, professional and collaborative manner. Must be able to coordinate, manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously with an eye for detail in a timely manner. Excellent strategic and operational skills and a forward-thinker to lead the Museum through change and growth. Excellent oral and written communications with strong listening skills and comfortable receiving input from many internal and external sources.
Please apply for posting HERE